Sunday, February 20, 2011

Going to the movie


Usually after dinner, we would take a short walk and within 5 mins we would arrive.

I couldn't remember how I feel then but I guess I had welcomed it.

First, we would go to the lady sitting in a room with a little window opening to us. We would pay a dollar for two tickets for the front stall seats. The lady would then scribble manually the seat number on the ticket and hand us the movie tickets we had purchased.

The seats were all wooden and we usually would buy the cheapest front stall seat which is close to the screen. The further away from the screen, the more expensive the tickets would be.

And I remembered that the cinema was known as Ocean theater, which is where coffee club is situated now at Siglap.

I remember my father brought me to the movie pretty often as the cinema was a stone throw away from my house.

Today, it was I that brought my father and aunt to the movie. They have not been to one for more than 20 years. With technology taking over almost every aspect of our lives, my father and aunt are pretty much handicapped and they are not able to comprehend how a cinema works now. They are alien to Internet, they do not know how to buy the movie tickets and such threatening environment drives them away from the movies.

I wanted them to have that experience of going to the movies again, to experience the difference in movie going in the 21st century.

When I was a small boy, movie going was beyond me financially. Now movie going is beyond my aged father and aunt as they have not keep up with time and it's progress.

I hope my father and aunt have had a memorable time today.

Oh yes, we went to a Singapore made movie entitled "it's a great great world". A rare movie which recollect lives in the sixties in Singapore and what made this movie special was the many dialects used in the movie which my parent's generation could relate strongly with.

No comments:

The Third Life

  The third life! As I enter this phase of my life, there are obvious and inevitable changes to me, be it physically, mentally and even circ...