Monday, May 9, 2011

GE 2011

A reflection from Siew Boon:
"My late grandfather was one of the harbour board workers carrying sacks of stuff walking on those planks that bridged between the dock n the boats. His family was not well off, they lived in a rented room in one of the shophouses at wat we call Boat Quay now. As a little boy, my father wore his school shoes during CNY coz the family could not afford a new pair of shoes. My father could only have one or two pieces of chicken during CNY, meat was a luxury for them. As a little boy, he also had to help out during weekends at a fruits stall to help sell fruits to earn a little more for the family. ...This is not part of a drama serial. This is a part of a true story that my father related to me. It is his true story. The resilience n hard work that our forefathers or our parents n grandparents have had in them are admirable, at least to me. At times, I doubt I could ever have dat kinda resilience they had. Times have changed, society has advanced, so has the way we see things. I
hope values have not... I thank n salute my grandparents n my parents for working so hard so that I can be what n who I am today. In pursuing n looking forward to the future, I do not want to forget my past. It could be scary if one day, everyone in our nation has forgotten where we came from n how we have arrived to where we are now as a small nation, that is terrifying to me... Hmm, I feel that MM Lee is a part of our history. His leadership style may not be relevant now but his character n leadership in the past have led the nation to where we are today. I believe he had struggled, was passionate n I believe is still passionate about politics. So is Mr Chiam. There's really lots to learn from politicians like them. I may not know much about politics but i think their spirits n passion in the things they do are really worthy of admiration. I certainly hope that as we progress n change as a nation, especially in the political arena, let us also not forget the great people
who have in one way or another brought us to where we are. Before I end this text, I also thank Mr George Yeo for his dedication n hard work for the nation... Sorry pple, yet another long train of thoughts but thank you for helping me to remind myself a little about my history  Good day everyone..."

No comments:

The Third Life

  The third life! As I enter this phase of my life, there are obvious and inevitable changes to me, be it physically, mentally and even circ...